These delightful cards are designed with uplifting messages to help new mums get through the long early days with a newborn.
Studies and experience show that early days of motherhood can be a challenge for most women. With raging hormones and sleep deprivation, not to mention confusion and uncertainty about what to do with a baby, it can be tough.
This is where affirmations are useful. Affirmations give you a 'pep-talk' when you feel overwhelmed.
Affirmations work by training and rewiring neural pathways, so that empowering and positive beliefs become a default response in the day-to-day raising of your baby. So, instead of listening to the negative chatter that might come into your mind (and it will, and it's normal) you can take a deep breath, read an affirmation and reach for a better feeling thought.
But don't take it from me, here is what Bronwyn from Brisbane says about the affirmation cards:
Throughout my labour I coped well. I was confident that my body knew what it was doing. But once my baby arrived my anxiety and self-doubt returned. I felt so foolish and incompetent, not to mention tired! I had prepared so much for the birth but lacked the same tools to mentally and emotionally prepare myself for the challenges of the early days…until I found ‘Affirmations for Mothers’.
My favourite affirmation is ‘Every moment is temporary – the challenges I face now will soon pass’ which I have stuck to my bathroom mirror. I now give the Affirmation cards to my friends for their baby showers as I believe that confidence and trusting in yourself is just as essential as the physical equipment your baby needs from day one and onwards.
Now my baby is 7 months old and he is growing up so fast! I know that whatever happens next, I have the strength to cope. I am kind to myself and I am able to enjoy the journey of being a mum.
How to use the affirmation cards
There are number of ways to use the cards:
- Pick the affirmations that resonate with you and stick them somewhere you'll see often - like at the change table or bathroom mirror or fridge door.
- Flick through the cards each day, one by one, and let the words soak in.
- Keep them in a bowl by your bed and each morning pull a card and reflect why you picked the card and what it means for you at the moment. Ask yourself what lessons you can take from the card and apply to your day.
If at any time the words bring out any disbelief, anger, guilt or other negative state - that's OK. That's actually a natural response, as you can't expect to switch gears with affirmations alone. Sometimes, actually, it will make you feel worse.
In this case, what I suggest is to do a reset. For example, breathe in deeply 3 times. Or shake out your whole body.
Then look at the card. You may need to do this a few times. Eventually with some 'resets' the words will feel better.
These cards have given celebrities a pep-talk too
These affirmation cards have recently been included in baby gift baskets given to:
- Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg after the birth of their little Max
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West after the birth of Saint West
- Sandra Bullock after adopting little Laila
- Anne Hathaway after the birth of Jonathan
- Kellie Martin after the birth of Olivia
- and more...